The building that houses Kasetsart University Hall of History is
the premier brick building of the University Campus at Bangkhen.
It is a pre-World War II building occupied by the forerunner of Kasetsart
University , the College of Agriculture under the Department of Agriculture
of the Ministry of Agriculture, and was transfered to the University
soon after it was established in 1943. This Hall of History is located
on the Campus ringroad facing Ngarmwongwan Road straight through
Gate II entrance. To the East of its location was a “Ruean Kheo”,
a green wooden onestorey building with high clearance open groundfloor.
This was constructed of old used timbers dismantled from an old building
at Bangkok-noi Agricultural Experiment Station by the Department
of Agriculture, and was transfered to the University shortly after
the Hall of History building. After four more decades in service,
this green hall was demolished for its aged wooden structures had
The Hall of History is a two-storey building of concrete structures
that shall continue strong for many a year into the far future. In
earlier years the top floor housed one classroom on east wing, and
one biological science laboratory on west wing. The ground floor
housed one classroom on east wing, one chemistry laboratory on west
wing. A balance room and a chemical storage were in the central section
of the ground floor, small offices were in the central section of
the top floor. At one time, the expensive equipment as well as costly
chemicals were removed for safe storage at the Bangkok-noi Agricultural
Experiment Station to escape any possible damage that could be caused
by daily air raids over Bangkok by Allied aircrafts during WWII years.
But as it turned out, while Bangkok-noi Railway Station was demolished
by Allied bombings, the University Campus at Bangkhen that was literally
next to Don Muang Air Base was miraculously spared.
This building was know to Kasetsart oldtimers as the “ Chemistry
Building ” after the chemistry laboratory facilities contained therein,
or as the “ Tiger Building ” for its tiger striped camouflage applied
during the WWII years. Its subsequent popular name was an “Animal
Husbandry Building” since later on it housed animal nutrition laboratory
and animal husbandry classed mostly.
The first ever Commencement Exercise for graduates of Kasetsart
University was held in 1946 in the ground floor chamber on the east
wing of this building, presided over by H.E. the Minister of Agriculture.
Kasetsart first graduating class comprised transferred junir students
from the College of Agriculture , admitted into the 5-year Bachelor's
degree course in Agriculture. Three more annual consecutive commencement
exercises, 1947 til 1949, were held in this same venue and presided
over by the Minister.
The 1950 event marked a new page on Kasetsart history for the Annual
Commencement exercise turned a royal ceremony. His Majesty King Bhumibol
accompanied by Her Majesty the Queen, graciously presided over the
1950 Graduation Ceremony which was held in the east wing chamber
on the second floor.
This building had served several functions in response to changing
time and needs ; some among these were offices for senior staff,
office of the early US missions to Kasetsart, office of the Dean
of Agriculture, etc. In views of its historical significance and
also of its old but very sturdy structures, the building has been
and shall be part of Kasetsart history into everlasting future, a
landmark for the University. It is therefore fitting for the University
to restore the exterior and refurnish the interior to best serve
its current assignment as the Kasetsart University Hall of History.
In safekeeping and on display in the Hall of History are artifacts
and documents pertinent to historical significance of Kasetsart University
so that they shall be preserved for posterity to all interested parties.
The Hall first opened its door to the public on the 60 th Anniversary
of Kasetsart Charter, 2 February 2003 , In it, the University development
and its significant contributions to the motherland's economic and
social developments are presented in various modes.
|The Kasetsart University Hall of History was established on February
2, 2003 . the sixtieth anniversary of the University, as a memorial
that enables the faculty, staff, and students and all interested
people to learn of the history and development of Kasetsart University
from its founding to the present, of events in the past which have
brought honor to the University and in which they may take pride,
and of the potentialities of the University in the future. The building
that has been removal as the Hall of History has been well known
by old Kasetsart people as the Animal Husbandry Building, for classes
in this subject were once taught in the rooms on the upper floor;
as the Chemistry Building, for chemistry was once taught on the lower
floor; and as the White Building, for it once wore a coat of white
The building was the first stuccoed brick structure on the campus
and is of special importance because it was in 1950, in the hall
on the eastern end of the upper floor in 1950, that Their Majesties
the King and Queen bestowed degrees upon graduates of Kasetsart University
for the first time.
- The Kasetsart University Hall of History shall collect, arrange,
and preserve systematically documents, pictures, tools, instruments,
and other objects of the faculty, staff and students of Kasetsart
University at all periods in its history and provide services
for research and study
- It shall assemble information on the history and development
of the University and make this available to scholars, students,
and interested parties
- It shall disseminate and conduct public relations activities
on the University as it was in the past and will be in the future
by arranging both permanent and occasional exhibits and displays.